Published on June 2nd, 2013 | by Tom0
What Causes Baby Acne? How To Treat Baby Acne
What is baby acne?
When the baby’s sebaceous glands try to clear out remaining maternal hormones passed through the placenta, the baby acne may form. The bumps usually look raised and red with the size of a normal adult pimple. There is also a condition called milia which is also very common for babies. But the bumps are smaller and similar to goose bumps.
What causes baby acne?
It’s not clear exactly what causes baby acne. But doctors believe that it’s most likely due to the maternal hormones. The babies are exposed to the mother’s hormones that pass through the placenta, which will affect the baby’s sebaceous glands and cause acne. Also, breastfeeding will also make infants exposed to maternal hormones. A high fat diet during pregnancy and breastfeeding may also be a factor for baby acne. Wash infants with abrasive cleansers and wash their cloth with harsh detergents also can affect baby’s skin and cause acne.
How to treat baby acne?
- Dos: useful treatments and remedies
- Make sure everything that will touch your baby’s skin is clean. Pillows, quarters, cloths, comforters, all of these should be clean or washed with gentle cleanser.
- Wash your baby with mild non-drying soap.
- Keep the baby’s face clean and dry.
- Use a mild baby cleanser. You can buy one in store. But here one self-made recipe is recommended. Prepare 1 teaspoon of honey and lemon juice respectively and mix them in a bowl. Then, apply the mixture to affected area with a cotton ball and leave it for half an hour. Remember wash it off with warm water.
- Ask the doctor for help if the pimples spread rapidly or don’t disappear in 3 months.
- Don’t wash your baby’s cloth with harsh cleanser.
- Don’t scrub your baby’s skin.
- Don’t keep high fat diet during breastfeeding.
- Don’t use oily lotions or creams that will clog pores on your baby’s skin.
- Don’t use over-the-counter prescription medicine that for adolescent or adult acne treatment.
image via [smilesteady]