How to Treat Stomach Flu, Home Remedies for Stomach Flu
As common as a cold, stomach flu is caused by viruses, but not the influenza virus. With the diarrhea and vomiting as the main symptoms, it can be treated by many home remedies as chemical ingest may increase the pressure on your stomach.
1. The best home remedy for stomach flu may be rest and plenty of water. Dehydration is one dangerous side effect of stomach flu, you have to drink enough water to keep hydrating and sleep as much as possible to rest your body. Besides water, you can also try some soothing drinks such as coconut water, chamomile or mint tea, or bone broth. The most important thing is to prevent your body from dehydration.
2. Another important stomach flu remedy is Probiotics. Consume foods like probiotic yogurt to increase the probiotics to fight against the bad bacteria causing the stomach flu. Add the probiotics to the electrolyte drink can get the same effect too.
3. Chia seed works because it can carry water into your body. Prepare 1 tablespoon of dry chia seeds, 2 teaspoon lime juice, 1 tablespoon stevia powder or 2 teaspoon sugar and 10 ounces water. Add the chia seeds into water and let them sit and soak for 10 minutes, then add the juice and sweetener and mix well.
4. There is a famous BRAT diet which seems effective for diarrhea treatment. BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) a day or two before or until the symptoms subside are recommended by some clinicians.
5. Some herb teas and extract can achieve the good effects too. Olive leaf extract. Peppermint, catnip tea, and cinnamon tea will all benefit you if you’re suffering from stomach flu. The astragalus root is a traditional Chinese herbal medicine as a hearty immune booster, and a stick of astragalus root added to the food when you cooking can result in a super food to treat your stomach flu.