Published on June 19th, 2013 | by Tom1
How to Treat Poison Ivy and Poison Oak Fast
Have you ever have the experience that you developed a streaky rash with redand even turn into weeping blisters after some outdoor activities? It is really annoying and uncomfortable. Well, the culprit may be the or . How to identify poison ivy and poison oak? Here we will give you answer. Besides that, we also introduce the specific symptoms and treatment of poison ivy and poison oak.
How to identify poison ivy and poison oak
Both poison ivy and poison oak have three leaflets. It is hard to identify them when you are doing yard work. People are supposed to realize the existence of the poison plants until the rash has come into being. As an old saying goes, leaves of three, leave them be. Another feature you should note is that their leaves are usually shiny on their surface. So next time you have contact with green plants, you need to be very careful as the study showed that most of us are allergic to them. You should make sure that your skin has been covered before you expose yourself to certain unknown green plants.
Symptoms of the rash?
The common symptoms of the rash areand red bumps. It may turn into small blisters which filled with fluid. The annoying rash will turn up in 8 to 18 hours after you have contact with the poison ivy or oak. And the most difficult time will be the fourth and the fifth day. It takes 1 to 3 weeks to heal the rash. In some cases, the rash will spread into other parts of your skin. For people who are highly sensitive to urushiol, the situation may become even worse such as the swelling of the face, mouth, neck and widespread, large blisters.
How to Treat Poison Ivy and Poison Oak
- Undress yourself and wash yourself completely. Take a shower as quickly as possible and make sure the resins are washed off. If you can get rid of them in a half hour, the allergic reaction can be avoided. Never forget your . Apply a to scrub under your fingernails.
- Use rubbing . The alcohol can dissolve the poison ivy or poison oak oil which can keep yourself from the rash.
- If you have already got rash, you should remember never to scratch them. It will make the bacteria infect your wound and worsen the situation.
- Cool the wound with icepack. It is a good way to stop the and the itchiness.
- Apply topical creams or lotions if necessary. It will ease the pain. If they don’t work, take antihistamines which offer you relief from the itching.
- Find acorns and boil them in water. After the water is cool, clean your wound with it. It is effective for people.
- Buttermilk and yogurt can make contributions. The protein they contain will help you to draw out the fluid from your blisters.
- Add tea bags into your bath water. The anti-inflammatory properties will do wonders in treating the painful rash.
Tips and warnings
Acquire a good knowledge of how to identify poison ivy and poison oak. Try to avoid them as you can. Make a good preparation before you are going to do outdoor activities.
If your children are exposed to the poison plants, remember to cut their fingernails to avoid the happening of scratch.