Published on September 12th, 2013 | by Tom0
How to Treat Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
1. Cognitive behavior therapy (CBT). CBT is found to be the most effective and successful treatment for OCD. It is a very effective means of controlling anxious and intrusive thoughts. Make sure to seek professional medical advice, and stick to the treatment plan for the recovery of OCD.
2. Inositol. Inositol has been used in the treatment of OCD and a number of other psychological conditions with its effectiveness in increasing the body’s sensitivity to serotonin. A small double-blind experiment shows that taking a dose of 18 g inositol supplement for 6 weeks led to significant improvement of OCD symptoms.
3. Vitamin B. according to one study, people with ODC usually have lower levels of vitamin B than normal people, which indicate that supplements of vitamin B may be helpful for this condition.
4. Meditation. A small trial demonstrates meditation such as kundalini, a yoga meditation technique was very effective for OCD. Medication might reduce the anxiety and stress enough for a person to start and eventually ease the symptoms. In addition, meditation is free for charge and does not involve the risk of side effects. However, experts suggest that each meditation should be taken for at least 12-16 weeks before you seek other options.
5. Beverages and diet. Beverages that contain caffeine such as coffee or tea make stressful situations become more severe. Alcohol abuse is very common in people with OCD, which makes the condition even worse. So get professional guidance or ask a family member to help the patient stop drinking alcohol. Keep a balanced diet rich in nutrient. Do not eat foods rich in sugar or simple carbohydrates such as break, donuts or pasta; instead eat more whole grain, fresh fruit and vegetables.
6. Get plenty of rest. For patients with OCD, it might be difficult to fall asleep when fighting intrusive thoughts, and lack of proper rest will lead to more stress and anxiety. Take some natural herbal supplements to promote your sleeping quality, such as gamma-aminobutyric acid, 5-Hydroxytryptophan or herb valerian.
7. Exercise, massage and relaxation. Regular exercise is one of the most effective methods for anxiety relief. You can walk with your friends, join a gym or simply do some stretches on a daily basis. And massage therapy can also give your body a thorough relaxation, which will reduce the stress and anxiety.
featured image @mhalc.org