Published on July 28th, 2013 | by Tom0
How to Treat a Concussion, Symptoms & Treatment
Concussion is the most common type of traumatic brain injury. We are in high potential of getting a concussion or see a victim of concussion because it can be caused by various reasons such as a hard tackle in football. The main cause is a blow to the head, face or neck. No matter what the causes are, we should have some basic knowledge about how to treat a concussion.
Evaluate the symptoms. If the person suffering from the symptoms as following, seek for the nearest accident and emergency department as soon as possible or call 911 immediately.
- Be unconscious or unable to keep the eyes open
- Have mental confusion
- Feel weak on one side of the body
- Be vomiting repeatedly
- Have a very painful
- Have fits or seizures
- Bleed from one ear or both ears
- Have Long drowsiness or lost conscious for more than 1 minute
Before the professional help arrive, what you can do:
- Keep the victim as still as possible in that place and avoid moving which may cause further injury.
- Stay with the victim and keep asking questions continually if the victim is still conscious
- Cool the victim’s head with ice pace or damp towel.
If the symptoms are mild, try to use the self-care techniques:
- Stop the activity immediately if your concussion is caused during some sports.
- Have a good rest. Rest is the best way to recover form a concussion. Get enough sleep at night.
- Apply ice pack for 10-20 minutes to reduce swelling. Remember to wrap the ice with a towel first, as the direct touch of ice may cause damage to the skin.
- Stay away with and smoking
- Take over-the-counter medicines like acetaminophen to relieve the . Avoid choosing aspirin or ibuprofen which may worsen bruising.
- Avoid strenuous until you’re completely recovered.
- Avoid activities that may cause physical or mental damage, for instance schoolwork, playing computer, video games.
- Keep somebody along you in the first 48 hours after the injury.
- If the symptoms worsen, seek professional help immediately