Published on July 25th, 2013 | by Tom0
How to Stop and Prevent Snoring
is not a disease but snoring can interrupt sleep enough to prevent you from getting enough restorative rest and create some relationship problems. Don’t just let snoring damage your relationship.Take some actions to , and you would get a better life.
We’d like to recommend some self-help cures andto you:
- Keep a healthy . , coffee and high-fat foods are things that would cause or worsen snoring. Control the intake of those foods. Eat more vegetables and fruits.
- Keep an eye on your weight. People overweight seem to get snoring easier. So, maintain your weight if you’re not suffering excessive kilograms. But, if you have, do something to lose your weight.
- Establish right sleep position. Snoring is usually caused by the narrowing of the airway. And sleeping on the back will squash your airway and then cause snoring. So, try to sleep on your side. A body pillow or taping tennis balls are something useful that can help you sleep on side.
- Get rid of alcohol and smoking. These bad habits can cause airway to be blocked and make you risk a higher chance of snoring.
- Open nasal passages. Nasal congestion is a main reason for snoring. A hot shower before bedtime, a Neti pot or nasal strips are useful for your nasal passages clearing.
- Do . Throat exercise is an effective way to stop snoring. Stick your tongue out and relax or stick your tongue out to touch your chin or your nose. Repeat 10 times. Repeatedly pronounce certain vowel sound like (a-e-i-o-u) loudly for three minutes several times a day. You can combine the throat exercise with some other activities such as walking, taking shower.
- Change your pillow regularly. Put your pillows in the air fluff cycle once several weeks to minimize the dust mites and allergens.
- If these remedies don’t work well, you can take some medical cures:
- Purchase over-the-counter top-snoring devices. You can ask your pharmacist to suggest the proper devices or you can visit some websites for useful information. Continuous Positive Airway Pressure is a machine that can keep your airway open during sleep. Lower jaw-positioners, some oral devices are other options.
- Do traditional surgery. Some surgery like Thermal Ablation Palatoplasty (TAP), Pillar procedure can increase the size of airway and thus to help stopping the snoring.
- If snoring is cause by or , take some useful medicine to get rid of the cause root. You can take a decongestant or antihistamine to clear the nasal congestion caused by cold and a menthol scent can be used to stop sinus infection.
See a doctor. Sometimes snoring may be a warning sigh of other serious problems. If you snore loudly and heavily and feelduring the day or you gasp or even stop breathing during sleep, professional evaluation for the underlying medical conditions may be necessary.