Published on August 29th, 2013 | by Tom0
How to Stop Post Nasal Drip and Cough
1. Gargle: gargle can relieve sore throat and treat post nasal drips. You can gargle with salt water or apply vinegar cinder.
- Salt water: mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 cup of warm water
- Apple vinegar cinder: 1/3 apple vinegar cinder and 2/3 cold water. Gargle with the mixture and try to bender over and hold your feet for as long as you can. Press your tongue against the roof of your mouth every 3 seconds while bending. This will help the mucus fall out from your throat. Repeat this for 3 times to clear your throat as much as possible. You can suck on honey to soothe the throat after.
2. Clean your house to remove allergens like dust, pet dander and mold which can irritate the nasal cavity and cause post nasal drip.
3. Drink plenty of water or tea to keep hydrated and make the mucus thinner.
4. Use a humidifier to keep the environment moist which will thin up the enough.
5. Use eucalyptus oil to dry up the nasal drips. Add it to a bowl of hot water and inhale the steam.
6. Peppermint oil can use as a decongestant for post nasal drip. Wet a towel with warm water and apply several drops of peppermint oil on the cloth and hold the cloth to nose and breathe in.
7. Saline spray can help thin the mucus too which also regarded as an effective alternative decongestant for nasal drops.
8. Avoid dairy foods, spicy food which will aggravate the condition. And stay away with smoke, caffeine, alcohol.
9. Clear up your mucus with baking soda with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 cup of water. Squirt the mixture into your nostril with your palate and throat closed. Make the solution go through all four of your sinus cavities by titling your head to each side for 8-10 seconds every time while squirting. Repeat 3-4 times for each side and then blow your nose to clear the mucus out.
10. Take mucus- thinning medicines like guaifenesin to get instant relief.
11.If you want to relieve it quickly and instantly, ask the doctor for advice.