Published on May 21st, 2013 | by Tom0
How to Quit Smoking Cold Turkey
Quitting smoking cold turkey can never be an easy task for smokers, let alone quit on their own. It is a great challenge that needs smokers’ hard work and commitment. A strong heart, a sound body and a well-designed schedule will do a great favor to quit smoking process. The following part is the basic steps you need to know if you plan to quit smoking.
- List the pros and cons of quitting smoking. Here what we are talking about is quitting cold turkey which means you get rid of smoking completely and never touch anything that is related to nicotine or drugs. Due to the dramatic changes it makes, only 3-10% of people have completed the task successfully. As for the pros, it will give you a healthy body and the hard time is not very long compared to medication and nicotine therapy. In regard to cons, you may experience some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms and some pains that you have never felt before. Because of its high difficulty level, you are more likely to lose this game.
- Work out a plan. A good plan will give you confidence and encouragement. It should include the exact day you start to quit and a record of your daily lives. You should also write down everything that may lead you to smoke. And then remind yourself not to touch them if possible. Never give it up in the first few days. Keep a motivation note with you. Whenever you think you cannot make it, take the note out and rethink about the reasons why you do it at the very beginning.
- Manage your stress. During the quitting process, you may come under tremendous pressure. To learn how to deal with pressure is very significant in this time. Here are some tips. Firstly, you need to do some thinking work. Write down all of the factors that cause stress and figure out some ways to deal with them. Try to avoid things that make you nervous. Secondly, take some exercise. It will calm you down. Lastly, if you cannot solve them by yourself, ask some help from your friends and family.
- Have a busy schedule. Keeping yourself busy is a good way to distract your attention from smoking. First, you can get some exercise every day. It can not only give you a healthier body, but also replace your smoking routine with others. When the cravings come up, you can keep your mouth active by drinking some water or eating some snacks. Secondly, take part in some social activities. Your friends will offer their help if needed. You can even develop some new hobby or habit. It will keep your mind from the “addition” thing.
- If you are not be able to quit cold turkey, you can try to cutt down on smoking.
- When you start to quit smoking, try not to contact with other smokers.
- Carry a motivation note with you.