Published on August 10th, 2013 | by Tom0
How To Prevent Skin Cancer
1. Minimize sun exposure. Avoiding direct exposure to the sunlight is the best way to prevent skin cancer. Minimize your time of outdoor activities. If you have to go out, take measures to protect yourself from the burning sun. Wear a hat to protect your face and ears. Or you can choose a tightly woven cloth to cover your neck. Or you can wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants to protect your arms and legs from the sunlight.
2. Use a sunscreen. Better choose sunscreen with SPF (sun protective factor) 30 or higher if you go out in summer days. If you stay inside, sunscreen with SPF 15 is ok to protect you from the UV rays.
3. Protect yourself even on cloudy days. Even on cloudy and hazy days, UV rays affect you as well, so take necessary measures whenever you go out.
4. Watch out UV rays from other devices. Notice that the tanning beds and sunlamps have UV rays emission as well. Try to avoid them, since these UV rays are as dangerous as those from sunrays.
5. Stay in shades. Seek shades when you are doing outdoor activities, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
6. Be careful with some sun-sensitizing medications. Common prescribed medications and OTC drugs, for example antibiotics, can increase your skin’s sensibility to sunlight. If so, take precautions to protect your skin from the sunlight.
7. Self-detection. Self-detection is very important in preventing skin cancers. Check your skin and be aware of those warnings signs of skin cancer such as the changes in the color, size of your moles, bumps and freckles. Go to the doctor for professional guidance if necessary.