Published on August 4th, 2013 | by Tom0
How to Prevent Pregnancy Stretch Marks
What you can do early in the pregnancy:
- Drink more water to keep hydrated. 8 glasses of water per day is recommended. Also you can choose to drink some herbal tea to replace the water. Watery fruits and vegetables are good alternatives as well. In all, you should make sure to be hydrated for this can make your skin healthier and then help preventing stretch marks.
- Keep a healthy and balanced diet. Foods rich in antioxidants are beneficial for both the nourishing and elasticity of the skin. Foods containing vitamin E, vitamin A, omega 3s are all helpful for your skin health. Increased the consumption of these foods can help prevent the pregnancy stretch marks from forming.
- Pay attention to your weight. If you gain a lot of weight during pregnancy, you are more likely to get stretch marks. Gaining weight gradually will reduce the risk of the occurrence of stretch marks.
- Retain the elasticity of your skin by doing exercise regularly. Regular exercise can help improve your body’s circulation and prevent you from gaining too much weight.
image © BananaStock / Thinkstock
- Keep your skin moisturized. Us e a moisturizer to hydrate anywhere you might get stretch marks. Choose some product specially designed for pregnant women or natural oil. Coconut oil is a good choice. Never choose body washes that contain harsh chemicals which will dry out your skin and reduce the elasticity.
- Dry brushing seems an effective method for stretch marks prevention. Choose a dry brush made from natural fibers and brush the skin from the bottom of your legs upward to your heart. Take a shower to rinse the dead skin cells after brushing.
What you can do after giving birth
1. Stick to the skin-nourishing foods as usual. Never hurry for weight loss. And keep hydrated to retain the elasticity of your skin.
2. Do more exercises. Try to build strong muscles to help tighten up the skin by doing weight lifting or some exercises that are right for you.
3. If you get a few stretch marks, try these methods to minimize and help get rid of them:
- Apply some creams containing retinoids or glycolic acid.
- Apply baby oil three times a day
- Try to massage baking soda on the affected area.
- You can also choose lime, or potato juice.