Cold, Flu & Cough
Published on June 24th, 2013 | by Tom0
How to Get Rid of Stuffy Nose
Ais a common by-product of colds or infection. Being so uncomfortable and annoying, a stuffy nose may ruin your beautiful day. Here, we will provide you some useful methods including medical treatments and to help you get rid of a stuffy nose quickly.
Home remedies for Stuffy Nose
- Salt water works well. Just mix the salt in a cup of warm water and put the mixture in a dropper. Drop one or two drops into each nostril. It may be a little unpleasant, but has good effect. A saline spray is a good alternative if you don’t like droppers.
- Steam can help unclog your stuffy nose effectively. Take a hot shower or just steam your head over a pot of hot water. If you steam your head over hot water, remember to cover your head with a towel before, which can help concentrate the steam. Keep your head over the hot water for 10-15minutes. Never stick to it if you feel very uncomfortable.
- Some fruit juice can also do wonders in treating stuffy nose. Mix some grapefruit juice in lukewarm water and drink the mixture. Actually, fruits like that contain enough Vitamin C are all good remedies for stuffy nose. Drink more fruit juice that contain Vitamin C, you may find they are effective.
- Eucalyptus oil will help release the stuffy nose too. Just apply the oil on the or the nose and you’ll feel better. You can also inhale the oil to get the same effect.
- root is another recommended way that can help you get rid of a stuffy nose. Moreover, it can help cure the and flu. Make a cup of tea with ginger root, add a bit of honey and enjoy the tea for at least 2-3times a day.
- Pepper may be a little irritative but effective. The anti-inflammatory property of Cayenne pepper can help cure the stuffy nose dramatically. Just add a cayenne pepper in boiled water to make a tea and drink it. Both garlic and onions can do the same work as the pepper. You can have a try too.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Drinking lots of water, hot beverages can affect the stuffy nose. But don’t choose beverages including which will worsen the situation.
Medical treatments for Stuffy Nose
- Purchase over-the-counter decongestants. There are several types of decongestants including pills, liquids and sprays. Choose the one you like to get the immediate relief. Remember all medicine have side effects. So, don’t rely too much on the decongestants.
- Antihistamines are another common medical treatment for stuffy nose. It works well for allergic reaction. So, if your stuffy nose is caused by allergy, you may find them work particularly well.
Tips & Warnings
- Avoid wheat and dairy products which will worsen the situation. Instead, consume more spices like chili peppers.
- Stay in humid rather than dry place will better the situation.
- Do regularly to keep yourself from a stuffy nose.
- Stay upright and elevate your head with pillows when you sleep.