Published on July 31st, 2013 | by Tom0
How to Get Rid of Hives Fast
Home remedies for hives
1. If you are suffering redness and itchiness caused by hives, the first thing you should do is to stop scratching. Because scratching will break open the hives and make it prone to infection, especially when your hands are dirty.
2. Stay away from the trigger. Allergy is often the most common causes of hives. Food like peanuts and strawberries are common allergens. Drugs like penicillin or aspirin are also possible offenders. If any of them causes the symptoms, stay away from them and see what will happen.
3. A wet, cold compress will be effective to reduce the swelling and inflammation. Wet the paper towel with cold water and apply it to the infected skin. Apply the cold compress for 15-20 minutes each time and reapply it after 2-3 hours if necessary. It works better to replace the cold water with cold milk.
image source tyglobal
4. Drink herbal teas to treat hives naturally. It works the same whether you buy tea bags or make your own tea with herbs. Usually, make a cup of tea with 1 teaspoon of herb. And you should steep root herbs for 20 minutes and leaf or flower herbs for 15 minutes. It is advisable to drink 3-4 cups of herb tea per day. Luckily, there are many types of herb tea for you to choose:, which has antihistamine effects, is a good remedy for curing hives; Licorice root can ease inflammation and can speed the recovery from the hives by strengthening your immune system, but do not drink it if you are suffering from or heart diseases; goldenseal is proved to be helpful in eliminating allergic symptoms; is also a common remedy for hives, do not drink it without the doctor’s permission if you are taking warfarin.
image source theblissrepublic
5. Take herbal antihistamines which can provide temporary relief from itchiness as well as redness. Some doctors suggest stinging nettle, for it can decrease the amount of histamine produced by the body. Coldsfoot, which has long been used as a cure for skin diseases by Europeans, may serve as an effective natural antihistamine too. Basil can also work as a natural remedy. Heat a couple sprigs of leaves and apply it to the hives.
6. Apply aloe vera gel directly to the hives and the surrounding skin. This one will help the affected skin to heal quicker.
7. Use ginger. Well known as a “magic drug” to all, ginger can be taken in many ways: sprinkled on your salad or meal after being chopped into small squares, or applied directly to the skin. Buy some fresh ginger and cut the skin of them. Apply the meat of ginger directly to the infected skin. If you want a more cooling effect, put the ginger in the refrigerator before you use it.