Published on June 19th, 2013 | by Tom0
How to Get Rid of Garden Slugs Naturally
Garden Slug is a kind of nasty slimy slug which can be regarded as enemies of the vegetables. They would eat your crops. Once you find them in your garden, take actions immediately. Good news is that it will not cost you a lot of money. Few simple ways can help you to get rid of garden slugs. Here we provide you with several efficient method to kill the garden slugs.
- Use beer. Put a plastic cup inside a hole about 4-6 inches deep. And then pour beer into the cup. Don’t full the cup and 80% is enough. Next thing you need to do is to wait for the slugs walk into the traps. Yeast and barley in beer make the most contributions as the slugs like them very much.
- Cornmeal can do this work too. Prepare two of cornmeal in a jar and lay it on its side in the place where there is slug activity. After eating them, the garden slugs will die.
- Pick the slugs in the evening and put them into salt water. It will destroy them completely.
- Apply some sprays. You can simply buy it from the market or make it by yourself. Ammonia is a good choice. Mix one part ammonia and six parts water together. Spritz them onto slugs and you will see positive effects after 5 minutes.
- Apply organic deterrents, like salt, eggshells, coffee grounds and cooper strips. Place them in a circular perimeter around the plants you are trying to protect. Usually red leaves of plants are also helpful. The slugs seem to avoid the red leaves as much as possible.
- Try chemical methods if necessary. The toxic materials will kill the slug immediately. However, it may do harm to your dogs or other pets. So before you apply them, ask your local garden center at first.