Cold, Flu & Cough
Published on June 18th, 2013 | by Tom2
How to Get Rid of a Cold
Though cold is not a severe disease，it is really annoying since its combined symptoms include headache, running nose, and coughing . Don’t let the cold cut into your busy life and ruin your important occasions. This article will tell you how to get rid of a cold quickly.
- Get enough rest and drink plenty of water. Adequate rest and water intake may be the most effective way to relieve a cold. The exhausted body will be much harder to fight the virus. And adequate fluids can help loosen congestion and fight the dehydrating effects. Hot water may be better.
- Take a hot shower. The steam can make you relax and clear your nasal passages well.
- Blow your nose. Blow your nose regularly rather than sniffle mucus back. And remember to wash your hands after blowing. To avoid reinfection, you should wash your hands often.
- Eat well. Researchers have found that chicken soup can help relieving the symptoms of cold effectively. Even you don’t want to, you need to eat. Eating something that is nutritive and easy to digest is an efficient way to battle cold . Beside chicken soup, ginseng may be a good choice too. But avoid fried and fatty foods.
- Gargle is helpful too. Use salt water, a mixture of honey and apple cider vinegar to gargle. It can moisten the throat. Another good remedy is to mix 1 tablespoon of raspberry leaves or lemon juice in two cups of hot water. Then, add 1 teaspoon of honey. Gargle with the mixture.
- Take zinc lozenges. Zinc can prevent the cold virus from replicating. But you should suck rather than chew them.
- Choose over-the-counter medicine to reduce your uncomfortable cold symptoms. You should be very careful when you choose the medicine; they may have some undesirable side effects.
- See a doctor. If the cold is really serious and the above methods don’t work well, see a doctor for professional advice.
Image by Royalty-Free/Corbis