Published on May 31st, 2013 | by Tom0
How to Treat Acne,Home Remedies & Medication
Just as you have to treat the different level ofdifferently, in different severity needs different treatment. So, according to the situation of your acne ，please find the most proper treatments here.
treats all kinds of acne, so, no matter what situation of acne, you can ask your dermatologist or health care provider to give advice or prescription for your acne curing. But, we recommend you just do this when you think the acne is a bit severe.
If you just have a few, whiteheads, and spots, some can also be useful:
- Wash the affected area with warm water no more than twice a day. Remember to use a mild soap or cleanser. Avoid too much washing which can irritate the whiteheads and .
- Use an emollient that is fragrance-free and water-based if your skin is dry.
- Exfoliate. Remove the layer of cells which may clog pores and cause more acne.
- Avoid using too much cosmetics. All cosmetics, lotions and should be oil-free. And remember to remove makeup before bedtime.
- Do regularly and shower as soon as you finish.
- Keep your hair away from face and shampoo the hair regularly.
Recommend: Top 10 Rated Acne Skin Treatment Products
If you acne is mild inflammatory to moderate one, common Over-the –Counter medications can be used.
- Benzoyl peroxide cream, gel, lotion, and soap are OK. Benzoyl peroxide can kill the bacteria P acnes and unplug oil ducts. Start the use of benzoyl peroxide conservatively. Use 5 percent once a day, and after one week increasing to twice a day. Try 10 percent if your acne is not better after 4-6 weeks. Brands of benzoyl peroxide medications recommended here are Clearasil, Fostex, PanOxyl Dryox, Persa-Gel.
- is a solution that should only be used at night. It may cause redness and peeling. It’s also very harmful to .
- Salicylic acid, resorcinol and sulfur are all helpful to break down the blackheads and whiteheads. And salicylic acid can also help stop the shedding of the skin cells lining the hair follicles. Sulforcin Lotion, Rezamid Lotion, Acnomel Cream are good brand names of sulfur and resorcinol medications.
If you are suffering from moderate-to-severe inflammatory acne, prescription topical and oral medicines include:
- Antibiotics are available with a doctor’s prescription only.Antibiotics can reduce the risk of swollen and red acne. So, be sure to follow the doctor’s instructions and if the doctor prescribes oral antibiotics, take the antibiotic pills with enough water.
- Retinoid can also be used to treat the moderate-to-severe acne. It can help other topical medicines like antibiotics to enter the follicles by unplugging existing comedo.
If your acne is already very severe, you may need to take Isotretinoin or Accutane.
- Accutane is also only available with doctor’s prescription. It’s used for severe scarring and acne that can’t be treated by other medications. Accutane is a powerful pill but it can affect blood cell count and levels. So, blood testing should frequently be done when taking Accutane.
- Isotretinoin is also a very effective medicine for preventing scarring and can be prescribed by doctor only.
Warnings & Tips
- All of these medicines have side-effects, take them conservatively. As for the medicine only prescribed by doctors, it means that you have to go for a dermatologist.
- It usually takes 2-6 weeks for acne treatment works, keep patient. Avoid using too many products at once.
- You should keep your skin clean, but don’t over scrub or over clean the skin.
- You can do some self-remedies, but don’t wait too long to see a dermatologist. Once the acne becomes painful, or the over-the-counter medications work not well, you should see a dermatologist.
- Taper the medication usage rather than stop it immediately after it clearing up.