Published on September 18th, 2013 | by Tom0
Home Remedies For Dry Scalp
Dry scalp VS. Dandruff
Dry scalp is usually caused by temperature or humidity alternation, over-washing, severe dehydration, leading to white, small flakes of scalp.
Dandruff is dead skin cells that are characterized by large, oily or waxy flakes with yellowish or greyish appearance. Usually, dandruff is related with a fungal or bacterial infection of the scalp.
Home remedies for dry scalp
- Try the mixture of lemon juice with honey. Lemon juice alone is effective for dry scalp but the honey can maximize its benefits. Massage the mixture over your scalp for several minutes. The mixture of lemon juices with some oils like rosemary oil, essential oil and extra virgin oil works the same.
- Hot oils work well as they can bring the moisture back to your scalp. Coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil and sesame oil are proper options. Warm the oil up in a saucepan (never too hot for you have to apply it to your scalp) and then rub suitable amount oil to your scalp. Wrap your hair with a plastic cap for half an hour and then rinse with warm water and shampoo briefly.
- Try natural conditioners like tea tree oil or honey. The anti-bacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties make tea tree oil an effective option for dry scalp. Add 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil in your conditioner to regain the moisture. Honey is another excellent choice for dry scalp. Just combine the honey with your conditioner to condition your hair after shampooing.
- Apple cider vinegar is helpful in fighting against dry scalp. Simmer 3 cups of water and some rosemary in a saucepan for about 45 minutes and then add 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar. You can also add several drops of peppermint oil to get a better smell and peppermint can treat itching caused by dry scalp. Use the mixture to rinse after shampooing.
- Choose dry scalp shampoo. Avoid harsh shampoos that will extremely remove the natural oil of hair. Look for the best shampoos for dry scalp.
- Drink more water and eat a balanced diet including lean protein vegetables and fruits to treat your dry scalp from the inside out. Avoid the intake of sugary foods, salty foods and spicy foods which will irritate the dryness.